If you have an older driving license and wish to convert it to a Smart Driving License, what do you need to do, and how do you apply? Here is everything you need to know.
Smart Driving license (SDL)
The Smart DL (driving license) is the most modern version of the regular driving license, which has a microchip that stores all the information of driver electronically.
Smart Driving License also keeps the license holder's biometric data, such as their fingerprints, blood group, and scanned retina images. Smart Driving License is handy, durable, and easy to carry. Hence, it can't be damaged very easily.
To get a Smart DL, you need to visit an RTO office or RTO website to submit your application along with the required documents. You will receive a smart card driving license after paying the fee of ₹ 200 and providing your biometrics.
Steps to covert old driving license into smart driving license
First, go to the State Transport Department's official website and download the Smart Card DL Application Form.
- Enter the details and attach the necessary documents.
- Go to the RTO and submit the application.
- Schedule the driving test when you've paid the fee.
- Submit your biometrics after your driving test. Including Fingerprints, retina scanning, and photos
- As soon as you finish this process, you will receive your smart card driving license at your registered address.
Smart Card Driving Licence Advantages
- Smart Cards store all of the driver's information and cannot tamper with it, removing the possibility of fake identities.
- The only way to change the information on the Smart Card is to add or update particular details; it cannot delete; therefore, it is a permanent record.
- Smart Cards will prevent the circulation of forged registration information and expired driver's licenses.
- The Smart Card is significantly more durable and easier to use than a traditional driver's license book.
Smart card driving licence eligibility criteria
- To apply for a SCDL for a motorbike with a capacity of more than 50cc, applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- Motorcycles with engines less than 50cc allowed to applicants under the age of 16. In this situation, the applicant's parent or guardian must additionally provide a letter of consent.
- Applicants for heavy vehicles must be at least 18 years old and have finished the eighth standard.
Fee for smart card driving licence
The fee of a Smart Card driving license is Rs 200.
- Age proof – school transfer certificate, birth certificate, Passport, etc.
- Address proof – Aadhar card, electricity bill, voter ID, ration card, passport, etc.
- The old original driving license.