Which Documents Do You Need To Sell Your Car?

Dec 18, 2020 4 min read
Which Documents Do You Need To Sell Your Car?

Accurate documentation is one of the most important parts of selling a used car. Check out the list of documents you would need to sell your car easily.

Selling your car is a very smooth and hassle-free task if you get the documentation part right and complete. It is important for you to have all the necessary documents that are required to sell a car. It saves your time and future issues and more importantly when you apply for the transfer the ownership, the complete documentation will help you to opt for an easier way that’s mentioned here. We present a list of all the essential documents that are required to sell your car.

1. Registration Certificate (RC): The registration Certificate (RC) of a car is the most important document as it proves that you are the legitimate owner of the vehicle. It is required not only for selling the car but for also any kind of vehicle that comes under the Motor Vehicles Act 1988. You should have RC of the vehicle without any kind of misprint or defect that would certainly obstruct the ownership transfer method. If you have lost your RC or it has been stolen, you need to register an FIR with the local police station and apply for a duplicate RC by submitting Form 26 at the RTO where your vehicle is registered.

2. Valid Insurance Certificate: Valid insurance is required to sell your car. No car can be transferred from one person to another without having a valid insurance certificate. In case your insurance is expired, renew it, and then sell your car. If you don’t want to spend much on buying new insurance or renewal, you can get comprehensive insurance or third-party insurance which will at least clear your legal obstruction while selling your car.

3. Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate: PUC certificate is another important document required for the sale of a car. You can obtain the PUC certificate easily as most of the fuel stations have an emission-checking facility. The cost of a PUC certificate ranges between Rs 60 and Rs 100 depending upon the vehicle and capacity and is valid for 3 months.

4. Self-attested PAN Card: You have to give a self-attested copy of your pan card while selling your car to a buyer. If you don’t have the PAN card, you can give a filled Form 60 instead, a copy of which can be obtained from your nearest RTO office or downloaded from their website.

5. Self-attested Address Proof: Most states require you to give a self-attested copy of your address proof. You can use any one of the following documents as address proof:

  • Passport
  • Aadhar Card
  • Ration Card
  • Voter ID card
  • Any other document issued by the Government of India

Some states also consider electricity bills and rent agreement as valid address proof. You need to check with your RTO office of your state before selling your car if these documents are accepted. Some states don't require any address proof for selling your car.

6. Self-attested photographs: It is mandatory for you to have at least two self-attested photographs for ownership transfer of a car, that will be attached along with the transfer forms and submit to the RTO office.

7. Form 28: It is also called a no-objection certificate as it clarifies that the registration authority (with which the car has been registered) has no objection while you sell your car to the buyer. It also clears that you don't hold any outstanding liabilities against the vehicle and you can sell it without legal complications. For this, you have to fill three copies of this particular form and then, submit them along with your other paperwork, to the RTO.

Once you get form 28, it contains the pencil imprint of your car’s chassis number on these three forms and then requires the car to be present to the RTO with an application of the RC transfer process.

8. Form 29: After you have completed all the above paperwork, Form 29 is used to notify the RTO that you have sold your vehicle to the buyer. It is a confirmation slip that all the documents that are required to sell the car have been handed over to the buyer. You need to submit this form to the RTO office along with a requisite fee that varies on each sale to complete the sales process.

9. Form 30: After informing the RTO that the car has been sold through Form 29, it is your responsibility as a seller to request the RTO to transfer the ownership of the car to the new buyer. This is done through Form 30 indicated that all the legal and financial liabilities related to vehicles have now been transferred to the new buyer. You must apply for this process within 14 days of the sale of the car. Submit two copies of Form 30 to RTO with a nominal fee that varies on each sale and between RTOs.

10. Sales Affidavit: The sales affidavit is made in your name (the seller) having a declaration that all the legal liabilities related to the vehicle have now been transferred to the buyer. Once RC transfer is completed and both, the seller and the buyer have sign the sales affidavit and attested by the public notary, the new buyer will be responsible for all the liabilities related to the vehicle.

In addition to these necessary documents, there are some another optional things that you can hand it over to the new buyer if you want to like, the owner's manual, duplicate keys, service history, original purchase invoice, and maintenance record of the car, etc. Remember, these are optional in nature and there's no legal binding that you must offer these things while selling your car.

Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to CarInfo.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
You've successfully subscribed to CarInfo.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Success! Your billing info has been updated.
Your billing was not updated.